Thursday, September 26, 2013

Oliver's Surgery

Today was the day, Oli got neutered. I have never been through anything like this before. Nicky was already neutered when we adopted him, and Binx is sterile so he didn't need to be.

First let me say, I have no idea how I will handle doctors appointments with my children if I can hardly handle my cat's appointments...but I digress.

As soon as we put Oliver in his carrier this morning, he started screaming. He has figured out that he only goes in there before we head to the vet. I felt like such a horrible person. All the way to the office, he was crying and screaming. Poor baby.

The vet we go to isn't like others where they schedule you a specific time for surgery. They have all of the animals come in at 7am. There was another cat sitting next to us, and he and Oliver were having a screaming contest right there in the lobby. I couldn't tell who was winning, but they were both being extremely loud.

Surgery went well. He didn't need stitches, so it should be a pretty quick healing for him.

We weren't able to pick him up until 4 today, and when I got there, you could tell he was still out of it. The doctor said to leave him in the carrier for a few hours, but I just couldn't do it. His first few steps were very wobbly, but he got up and went straight for his water dish. He was so hungry and thirsty. I couldn't believe how much he ate.

He hates the cone of shame. Absolutely hates it. When I first put it on, he tried to back out of it and pull it off of his head. He has finally accepted that it isn't coming off and fallen asleep.

Even his sleep is just so different. Normally, he pops his head up at any little noise, but today, the house could burn down and he wouldn't even know. I keep checking to see if he is breathing because he is in such a deep sleep. It is really freaking me out. I keep trying to remind myself that the day I got my wisdom teeth out I slept all day too, but it is so different when it isn't you.

I don't know what to do to help him, and I think that is the hardest part. He obviously can't tell me what he needs or where it hurts. I'm hoping that tomorrow he will be feeling better. Until then, he is sound asleep on the couch with daddy. We decided to stay home from Bible Study tonight so we could keep an eye on him. He is very loopy and weak and I was worried he would fall or hurt himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment