I'll never forget the night that I met Dave Navarro. Not because meeting him had any impact on my life whatsoever, in fact, I'm not even sure I have ever even heard any of his music, but because of the way my mom handled the situation.
We were about eleven, maybe twelve, and had gone to the movies at the theater in the Palms Casino here in Las Vegas. Walking out to the car, my sister saw Dave Navarro and immediately started freaking out...she was a big fan of his growing up. My mom kept telling us to go up and say hello, but of course we were too scared. We went back and forth until finally, my mom walked straight up to him, put her hand on his shoulder and said, "Mr. Navarro, my girls would like to say hello to you." If you could see the look on his body guards' faces! Oh my gosh! I swear they were ready to take her down! I'll never forget, my sister, with this totally shocked look on her face said, "Do you know who you are??" Of course, he laughed and said yes, he did. He was extremely nice and talked to us for a few minutes before going off on his way. I wish I had a photo to share with you, but that was back before everyone carried a camera in their pocket.
I learned an important lesson that night, though it has taken me over ten years to really understand it. If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done. See, had it been up to Amanda and I, we would have never gotten to meet him as we would still be standing in the corner trying to convince ourselves to go up and talk to him.
This applies to a lot of things in life. If you never step out of your little bubble, you can never reach anything on the outside of your little bubble, no matter how hard you try.
"A dream is your creative vision for your life in the future. You must break out of your current comfort zone and become comfortable with the unfamiliar and the unknown."
I started thinking about this today on my way to work. If you follow me on social media, I'm sure you saw that the news anchor for Fox 5 Vegas came to speak at one of my classes today. I know it is super lame, but I am a Journalism geek and was so excited just to be in the same room as him. I mean this is someone who has had such a successful career in the field I am pursuing, though I definitely want to be behind the camera not in front!
Anyways, after class, I was in the hallway talking to a classmate about an upcoming project when John Huck, the anchor, walked out of the room. I really wanted to introduce myself, but I didn't really know how to start a conversation. I went up to him and introduced myself and said that I thought it was funny that he had worked in Nebraska, Rapid City, and now Las Vegas because I was born in Nebraska, moved to Rapid City and now live in Las Vegas. Long story short, he ended up being super nice, walked me out to the car to introduce himself to Josh and even said I could use him as a reference for my internship application with Fox 5! How freaking cool is that!
My goal from now on is to be a more sociable person. No one ever believes me, but I am naturally a really antisocial person. I'm the girl that wears headphones in the grocery store so I don't have to talk to people and looks down when passing people on the street so that we don't make eye contact. I have a tendency to keep to myself or stick with the people I know rather than introduce myself to others. I am really going to try to work on that in the months ahead. Journalism is a career in which I will have to step out of my comfort zone more often than not, so I might as well start practicing that now!
That being said...
Hi, I am Christina Morales and this is me stepping out of my comfort zone to introduce myself to you!
- My favorite movies are The Hunger Games, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Wreck it Ralph in that order.
- There is a strong possibility that my future children or animal's names will have something to do with the above movies. I'm thinking Rue for my next dog/cat and Andrew Kristopherson for my future son.
- There is a 100% chance my future daughter will be named Catherine after my grandma. The language it will be in is still debatable. There is obviously Catherine in English or Catrin in Irish Gaelic, or Katya in German...we shall see, we shall see.
- I could eat tacos every day of my life. Though, I don't like burritos. Interesting.
- I am an online shop-aholic and frequently purchase things off of eBay, for super cheap I might add.
- My favorite colors are yellow, peach, mint green and teal.
- My lucky number used to be 22, but things have been coming up in 27's lately which is the day Josh and I got married.
- I am terrified of car accidents and require Josh to text me whenever drives so I know he is safe. Also, I am terrified of cancer. It has taken the life of far too many of my family members.
- My nickname is "B" or "Baby B," though only my mom still calls me that. Baby B is currently my license plate, but I am thinking of changing it because everyone thinks it is for my dog...which is weird.
- I used to have an imaginary friend named Sting growing up because I was terrified of the wrestler named Sting and I thought if I pretended he was my friend he wouldn't be so scary
- Let's be honest, that guy still freaks me out.
- My biggest pet peeve is hearing people chew. I recently found through Buzzfeed that this is an actual brain disorder called Misophonia, which, according to Wikipedia is when a person is "angered, and even enraged, by common ambient sounds, such as other people clipping their nails, brushing teeth, chewing crushed ice, eating, slurping, drinking, breathing, sniffing, talking, sneezing, yawning, walking, chewing gum, laughing, snoring, typing on a keyboard, whistling or coughing" So, there's that.
- I love commas and compound sentences; does that make me weird?
- Speaking of Buzzfeed, I am obsessed with it. I check it every morning when I wake up and every night before I go to bed.
- I have a bad habit of interrupting people.
- I hate white shirts.
- I am far to emotionally attached to people and am always wanting their approval.
- I love country music. And, side note, the new Eric Church album is AH-mazing! As is the new Jennifer Nettles.
- Growing up, my grandma always wanted my sister and I to be "professional singers" like she was. We would have rehearsals in the living room after school.
- I am obsessed with daytime talk shows, currently The Chew is my favorite. I refuse to watch night time talk shows because my grandma passed away in the night while watching Jay Leno and it makes me depressed.
- I am an Aries, though I have no idea what that means.
- I have always wanted to learn how to play the guitar and the piano but have never tried.
- The only time I make my bed is when company is coming over.
- I am a chronic straw chewer and it drives my hubby NUTS.
- I do kiss my dogs on the lips, and no I don't think it is gross. :]
- My favorite words are hella, side note, ooftah and rando.
- My dogs and I frequently have random dance parties in the mornings.
- I used to hate soup, but have been really loving it lately! Weird.
- I have a tattoo of a cupcake on my foot. (I have three others as well, but this one is the most random)
- I know they aren't that cute, but I love pajama dresses. I just purchased a Duck Dynasty one...very cute. haha
The End. :]